Friday 21 April 2017

Lycopene (the tomato antioxidant)

I'm going to eat a lot more Tomatoes.

So, at the moment Antioxidants appears to be the way forward for improving Sperm morphology. And it turns out, there are loads of different types of Antioxidants.

In conducting my research I've come across another promising antioxidant called Lycopene. Lycopene is commonly found in tomatoes and other red vegetables. Something that my diet currently lacks.

There are a few promising articles about Lycopene and the effects on sperm (here, here, and here), the key headline appears to be 'New 'tomato pill' could SUPERCHARGE sperm by 70 per cent'

There is one old study here which suggests 4mg of Lycopene a day for 3 months had this result;

"Twenty patients (66%) showed an improvement in sperm concentration, sixteen (53%) had improved motility and fourteen (46%) showed improvement in sperm morphology."

There are clinical trials underway right now to prove whether 7mg can lead to further improvements, the supplement being tested has been developed by the university of Cambridge and can be found here.

While the previous studies appear promising, I'm reluctant to shell out cash for a somewhat unproven supplement, instead I've researched how many tomatoes I'll need to eat to get a daily dose of Lycopene.

This website suggests a simple tin of tomato soup will give me a whopping 13mg of Lycopene! so I'm going to adjust my diet accordingly to try and consume at least a tin of tomato soup a day.

UPDATE: This article reports on the effects a tin of tomato soup has on Lycopene levels in the testies (the antioxidant was detected but they didn't do any analysis into the impact on sperm).


No comments:

Post a Comment